Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Psychotherapy?
How does Psychotherapy treatment help?
Psychotherapists work with clients on how past experiences can inform the present and how to work through these issues.
What does successful treatment look like?
There is no stronger medicine for depression than psychotherapy. Scientific evidence shows that psychotherapy is generally as effective or more effective than medications in treating depression, especially when consumer satisfaction and long-term follow-up are considered. Research shows that psychotherapy for depression is at least as effective as antidepressant medications during the treatment period and more effective in preventing a return of the symptoms after the treatment is stopped.
Is Psychotherapy treatment right for you?
Psychotherapy can be used to treat a range of mental health conditions and various life crisis listed below.
Depression, Anxiety and anxiety disorders
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Addictions & Eating Disorders
Borderline Personality Disorder
Work and career issues
- Life crisis
- Addictions and behavioural pattern discovery in relationships
- Major life-transitions and changes including mid-life crisis at 35+
- Relationship pattern and anxiety, separations, divorce, parenting, dating
- Narcissistic Abuse
- How to avoid Malignant Narcissism when dating and to discover the origin of this pattern unique to you.
- Communication problems and how to communicate effectively in relationship to self and your partner.
- Loss, grief and bereavement and how to honour this process in your life.
- Anxiety, agoraphobia, chronic stress and anxiety, phobias, Obsessive compulsion.
- Loneliness and isolation
- Loneliness in lockdown
- Abandonment issues
- Career issues and discovering your unique inspiration
- Individuation and personal growth.
- How to individuate in relationship with others and the world.
- Depression and stuck feeling
- Altruism and Narcissism and discovering how to balance emotions
- Narcissistic abuse recovery support
- Boundary setting and learning how to say yes and no.
- Self-care and self-governance and how to manage self and habits
- Chronic pain and stress management
Why Online Therapy?
Online therapy has now become the medium of choice for the public as well as a vital lifeline for corporations we are serving enabling us to transform and alleviate the current stresses many are enduring in the UK
Whether you are an individual, couple or family or one of our group participants we can offer you the treatment and support you need to pave a clearer way forward towards greater psychological health.
Life is challenging even at the best of times. We have faced an immediate challenge with lockdown amidst the worldwide pandemic and with so many changes ahead and stressful circumstances affecting all of us, the need for Psychotherapy & Counselling and stress coaching via video call and the relational support of Couples Therapy has become vital in the present day.
The threat of the unknown has a natural consequence of triggering many of us into states where our primal instinct causes us to feel arcane feelings and the new lockdown situation has caused many to feel stuck, depressed and repeatedly disempowered. Therefore, as a result in frustration we tend to point the finger at those we are in relationship with including friends, family members, colleagues and even those in perceived positions of power.
How are Septenary Consulting Psychotherapists different?
At Septenary Consulting all of our therapists walk our talk and care deeply about our clients and we also steep ourselves regularly in reading as well as continuous professional development to stay refreshed. All therapists are in regular supervision with clinical supervisors that abide by the same code of ethics.
One thing that often makes our therapists experience both the pleasure and pain of being in the business of psychotherapy is the current pernicious disease depicted the following quote that is cascaded by many in society today especially by those in the field of psychology:
“The works of Carl Jung are a bit of a difficult read.”
At Septenary Consulting we believe the above quoted statement to be similar to a mountaineer saying he or she should avoid climbing a large mountain and instead take the escalator at a department store as the most expedient way to ascend to the dizzy heights to ones book-signing event.
Therefore, we know very clearly that making the journey as a real psychotherapist requires us to regularly steep ourselves in the subject material of the works of the great minds of our predecessors and ancestors. Also, regular introspection through private psychotherapy and professional supervision and proper self-care and self-governanance enable our therapists to be healthy and readily available in their own lives and work to serve others.
Our trusted team of expert therapists are thoroughly experienced and well read in Psychology, Philosophy, comparative Religion and Mythology. Our therapists have also been steeped in many different cultures and have a wealth of experience having worked with clients from many walks of life.
All of our therapists take the practice and theory of all modalities seriously we maintain that experience is the fulfillment of theory.
At Septenary Consulting, we take our commitment to our role in society seriously and abide by the code of ethics set by the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy and the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy.
Why do I need psychotherapy and why can I not just deal with it and move on?
Psychotherapy reinvented itself in the structure of society in the previous century.
Whereas in the recent past we might have chosen to visit a wise person in the family or community or a religious or philosophical person to seek wise counsel, with the emergence of Carl Jungs works we have before us a reintroduced established progressive psychological framework for the exploration of the problems of humanity and the development of the individual.
Online therapy is a valuable space to explore habits and patterns of behaviours and to express emotion to release tension and frustration and to gain perspective and find your way forwards to grow your present into a bright and exciting future. To transform oneself has a natural consequence of transforming relationships at work and in our personal lives with friends and family.
“To discover oneself is the most exciting developmental journey one can make and the rewards far outweigh an entire series on Netflix.”
What are the benefits of Online Therapy?
Many clients feel less nervous initially working with our therapists online and quickly realise how effective online therapy is.
Online Therapy works well for our employee client base, the wider public as well as our high-profile clients who benefit from our premium services. At Septenary Consulting, we pride ourselves in how our high-profile clients or those concerned about issues of trust and privacy value our services.
Our online services offer an enhanced improved access bringing previously under-valued and yet vital services to many in London and remote areas of the UK allowing our clients to access online treatment that they might otherwise not have been able to take advantage of in the current climate.
At Septenary Consulting, we value supporting you as an individual to support your psychological health with a view of the wider picture of the impact on your relationships, your family and friends and the country and beyond.
Ease of accessibility for individuals who are self-isolating, Suffering from anxiety or agoraphobia, or those with physical limitations and disabilities – whether these are temporary or long-term.
Greater continuity of treatment for those who travel or have busy schedules and occasional or sudden changes. This allows us to offer you the client to continue Therapy with one of our therapists from anywhere in the world.
Family or couples therapy can continue without disruption even when people are in different locations.
Video Therapy / (Psychotherapy, Counselling & even Coaching) now offers greater efficiency for busy clients as it reduces travel time and cost enabling you to organise your time better and feel comfortable in the privacy of your own space.
How does Online Therapy work?
Our video call sessions are easy to use on a professional platform. Wherever you are, from your laptop computer, tablet or smartphone, once you book your therapy or coaching session you will receive a confirmation email with a link.
The option to update your calendar is also an option so that you never miss an appointment. We will send you an automated reminder a day before your session.
All Therapy sessions take place via Zoom. All patient / client records are stored securely. We can also offer sessions via Phone for clients that would rather not use video as a medium for therapy.
Is Online Therapy effective?
Our initial collective research tells us that online therapy is just as effective as face-to-face sessions, and if you need therapy and your schedule or family commitments make commuting a natural obstacle to treatment, then online therapy is a better option for you.
Online Therapy video-call sessions can be an excellent way to grow, develop self-awareness and begin the journey of self-exploration. For some, it’s an entry into a therapy experience that can be enriching and make it safer to reach out for help in the future, should the need arise.
Additionally, Online Therapy is an excellent option for support in a crisis or a particular life challenge that is proving stressful and impacting on your well-being and relationships and your work.
According to research, similar outcomes for Psychotherapy face-to-face Versus remote Online Therapy have been reported in terms of personal growth and satisfaction and efficacy of treatment as well as invaluable treatment continuity.
Naturally, the empathy, gravitas and experience of our therapists makes all of the difference to the treatment process in respect to online therapy.
Can anyone benefit from Online Therapy?
For individuals struggling with a major mental illness, such as, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or severe major depressive disorder and trauma symptoms with severe emotional reactions, we recommend face-to-face to ensure client safety.
Individuals with severe addictions such as alcohol, behavioural or substance addictions may require a alternative and high levels of care treatment in person or in a specific clinical setting that naturally cannot be provided online.
We recommend that you speak to your GP if you have concerns about your health and inform them that you are seeking treatment with a Psychotherapist.
Why move to Online Therapy?
Before the pandemic crisis hit the global economy in 2020 Therapy online and by phone session was rare and our team of Psychotherapists and coaches at Septenary Consulting previously would only have had to employ the use of online sessions as an emergency measure if, for example, a high-profile clients was away on business or on a holiday / vacation.
Now, admist the pandemic of early 2020 it rapidly became a growing necessity for client convenience due to busier schedules and when lockdown occurred all Psychotherapists in the country had to move their services online.
Sometimes clients move house or emigrate and want to continue their trusted therapeutic relationship calling upon it even after therapy has completed when they have a question for some much needed advice in other areas of their lives.
Sometimes clients are in hospital having treatment or housebound and would otherwise be unable to access therapy. The requirement for intensive research or focussed work in ones career can often be an interruption when a client has to make a journey across or into London for an hour therapy session.
Online Therapy had rapidly proven to work for many and our therapist report its efficacy and effectively as well as our clients. Treatment via video call such as Zoom or Google Meet or Phone sessions allow for the continuity of care and treatment and the reassurance that appointments are not delayed or missed due to public transport or traffic and offers vital continued therapeutic support like never before.
Weather disruption to public transport services no longer cause delay or interruption for our clients with Online Video call Therapy in the comfort of your own home via your laptop computer, tablet or smartphone.
Travelling to therapy weekly can be demanding and Online therapy changes the picture of life allowing for that time back without the need to rush from work to therapy and then back home or on to the next meeting.
Online Therapy is now the present therapy of choice for many employers particularly due to issues of lockdown and social distancing as well as residual fear, anxiety and uncertainty even when lockdown eases in many locations.
Why do people seek professional psychotherapy?
Below are listed some of the reasons our clients seek out psychotherapy to resolve issues they are experiencing in their lives:
- Confusion about a mental health diagnosis or need for a second opinion
- Professional or personal crisis regarding oneself, a friend or family member
- Addictions or concerns about oneself or another
- Abuse or concerns about abuse
- Sudden anxiety symptoms or chronic worry
- Concerns about stress-related symptoms
- Lack of motivation and feeling stuck
- Career and professional issues including feeling stuck in creativity.
- Employment-related stresses.
- Dealing with conflict and how to discover why they avoid it
- Learning when to stop over-extending ones-self which leads to burnout and breakdown when caring for a loved one for example.
- Co-dependency patterns and enmeshment in relationship, friendship or family.
- Sexual or emotional infidelity and relationship separation or divorce.
- Narcissistic abuse
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Concerns about sexuality or sexual-identity
- Existential or spiritual and religions concerns
- Women’s Issues
- Men's issues
- Parenting concerns
What Psychotherapy modalities do we use?
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Interpersonal and relational psychotherapy
- Existential Psychotherapy
- Transpersonal Psychotherapy (The personal and the beyond the personal – Psychotherapy to move from the ‘ego’- towards -‘self’
- Gestalt Psychotherapy
- ARES © Septenary Consulting: Apply Repeat Embed Sustain techniques
- Trauma-focused Therapy
- Focus-oriented techniques
- Somatic experiencing techniques
- Solution-focused, short-term therapy
- Dream work
- Crisis Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- Group Therapy
What if I don't know whether to begin or what the issue is?
We will journey with you to discover your present situation and work with you on your first assessment to look at your needs and what you'd like to gain from therapy.
Below are some common issues some of our clients come to therapy to work through:
- Depression (major, postpartum depression, SAD, bipolar disorder, Menopausal depression)
- Anxiety (panic disorder, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress, fear, worry, insomnia, emotional regulation)
- Trauma resolution and Post Traumatic Stress
- Extreme stress and stress management techniques
- Sleep issues & insomnia
- Crisis counselling, life-challenges, transitions and overwhelm
- Obstacles, core beliefs and discovery of why the stuck feeling exists and how to overcome it and break through barriers which hinder.
- Abusive relationship dynamics and patterns of co-dependency
- Feeling of unworthiness, insignificant,. unwanted and unloved
- Fear of success and fear of failure and discovery of how to unblock these hindrances.
- Spiritual or existential concerns, existential life purpose enquiry
- Chronic pain, medical diagnosis.
- Difficulties with work - life balance
- Addictions, substance abuse and compulsions
- Performance blocks, perfectionism, self-blame, negative self-image and self-sabotage
- Boundaries, personal empowerment, identification of needs and how to say yes and no to friends, family, colleagues and business acquaintances.
- Career and life aspirations and inspiration
- Over-accommodating behaviours, avoidance of conflict, communication
- Co-dependency, Family Issues and Conflict Resolution through family therapy. Recovery from family enmeshment
- Grief, loss and bereavement
- The unlived life and how to discover opportunity.
- Addition recovery
- Separation & Divorce
- Infidelity and intimacy issues
- Parenting issues
- High profile clients and how to navigate change in personal life whilst having a public image.